PetStar has received a rating of 78.8 out of 100 in Current Best Practices in Reliability and Maintenance Management.
PetStar is one of the world’s largest food-grade polyethylene terephthalate (PET) recycling plant is the second plant in the world to achieve IDCON’s World Class Reliability and Maintenance Status.
IDCON defines a company as ‘world-class’ when a plant achieves a score above 75. PetStar achieved a rating of 78.8.
Director of operations Bernardo Salazar attributes a 2% increase in production as a result of the implementation of improvement initiatives identified after two previous IDCON Current Best Practices assessments.
IDCON’s current best practices for reliability and maintenance (CBP) assessment rates 204 well-defined reliability and maintenance elements (RME) by how well they are documented and executed. The RMEs are part of following key best practices processes:
- Leadership and organisation
- Preventive maintenance
- Work management
- Root cause problem elimination
- Skills development
- Tools and workshops
- Technical database
- Stores management
- Engineering interface with maintenance
The assessment has been performed in more than 200 plants worldwide and only two plants have achieved a rating over 75 – a food processing plant in New Zealand achieved 78.2 in 2008 and now PetStar.
This assessment is very thorough and requires up to three senior consultants spending more than a week to do the assessment, depending on the size of the maintenance organisation.
IDCON’s founder and CEO Christer Idhammar stated that some of the keys to PetStar’s success in achieving the World Class status included:
- Visual and engaged long term leadership. PetStar’s CEO Jaime Camara showed engaged interest and participated in exit presentations of all assessments
- Engaged, competent and enthusiastic employees
- Well defined and executed best practices
Furthermore, visual examples of best practices were observed during the assessment. Some visual examples included:
- Equipment modified and designed for maintainabilities such as the ability to inspect and safe access and lifting of equipment
- Motors, gears, pumps and other rotating equipment kept as spares in store rotated on set intervals
- Delivery and staging of parts and tools for planned work in designated areas
- Using applicable tools for condition monitoring.
- Root Cause Problem Elimination executed with well-defined triggers.
PetStar is one of the world’s largest food-grade PET recycling plants with a mission to promote the preservation of the environment to benefit future generations by implementing innovative solutions that make sustainable the PET containers. The company efficiently recycles to produce a high-quality food-grade resin with social responsibility.