The Retort Supervisors and Process Control School is designed to provide attendees with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills to effectively operate and supervise the retort operation.
Taking place from the 19 March to 23 March, attendees will gain an overview and insight into the responsibilities and requirements for food manufacturers processing cans, bottles, pouches and semi-rigid containers for commercial sale.
The course includes practical training on the operation of retorts and the packaging relevant to the attendees’ manufacturing site.
The course content is aligned with the following units of competency under Agrifood Skills Australia. The units offered in the Retort Supervisors and Process Control School are:
- FDFFS2001A – Implement the food safety programme and procedures
- FDFOP2044A – Operate a retort process
- FDFOP2019A – Fill and close product in cans
Who should attend?
Attendees are primarily production operators requiring recognition of retort operator / cannery supervisor qualifications and skills. However, quality assurance (QA) operatives, leading hands, maintenance personnel and electrical personnel will all benefit from attending the Retort Supervisors and Process Control School.
The following modules are covered in the Retort Supervisors and Process Control School:
- An introduction to the course
- Microbiology of thermally processed foods
- Principles of acidified foods
- Principles of thermal processing
- Principles of food plant sanitation
- Food container handling
- Records and record keeping
- Equipment, instrumentation and operation for thermal processing systems
- Still steam retorts (optional – specific to onsite retorts)
- Still retorts operating with overpressure (specific to onsite retorts)
- Batch agitating retorts (optional – specific to onsite retorts)
- Closures for double seamed metal and plastic containers
- Closures for glass containers (optional)
- Flexible and semi-rigid containers
- Overview of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
A Certification of Completion for the course shall be issued to attendees who successfully demonstrate competence of the practical, verbal and written assessments for the Retort Supervisors course.
Course: 19 March to 23 March 2018
Cost: AU$2,500 plus goods and service tax (GST) per student