Natural Biotechnology Naturally Derived Processing Aids, Anti-Oxidants and Decontaminants
Natural Biotechnology engineers and produces safe and natural food processing aids, providing the shelf life extension and anti-microbial protection you require. All the ingredients we use are European Union and FDA food approved, GRAS status, label friendly and designed to safeguard the original taste, colour and texture of your food products. Located in Belgium, Natural Biotechnology supplies organisations all over the world.
The company has a long-established focus on technical innovation, R&D and marketing that has enabled it to develop high-quality products that improve the quality and shelf life of beverages, fresh cut fruits and vegetables, sauces and syrups without impacting on nutrition or organoleptic and sensory properties.
Naturally derived food processing aids
Natural Biotechnology produces a large range of naturally derived food processing aids under the brand names NATRApHASE® and BioFresh. These products are split across three application types: shelf life extension, food protection (microbial contamination, organoleptic and sensory), and hygiene during production, transportation and storage.
All of the NATRApHASE® and BioFresh products are produced in an ISO9001:2000 certified quality management system, BRC and GMP accredited environment and comply with the following:
- European Union Regulation (EC) No 1333/2008: processing aid definition
- EU Directive 2000/13/EEC: labelling regulation
- Food Chemical Codex 5th Edition: specifications
- FDA Generally Recognised as Safe (GRAS): category
All of the products in the NATRApHASE® and BioFresh lines have the following properties:
- Non-toxic, non-hazardous, non-lachrymatory
- Food label friendly
- European Union and FDA food approved, GRAS status
- Easy and safe to use
- Readily soluble in potable water at low temperatures – 2°C to 4°C
Natural sterilant for beverages
BioFresh AMB is an innocuous, non-toxic powder sterilant. It is highly antimicrobial – effective against Gram- and Gram+ bacteria, mould and yeast in a wide variety of prepared fruit and vegetable beverages, including alcoholic beverages. All of the BioFresh products provide antimicrobial protection over a wide pH range of 3 to 7.
BioFresh AMB facilitates a longer shelf life without affecting the organoleptic and sensory properties of the beverage with no loss of nutritional value. It can be added directly to the beverage either before or after filling, and can be used either by automated dosing as a solution or as a powder by batch processing.
It is suitable for a wide range of carbonated or non-carbonated beverages derived from apples, oranges, pears, plums, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, cherries, cranberries, bananas, pineapple, kiwi fruit, mangos, papaya and melons, including blends of fruit juices/beverages, isotonic sports drinks, iced teas and flavoured water and wines.
Natural Biotechnology also provides a liquid version, NATRApHASE® ABFL 300L, with the same properties as above but with the convenience of a liquid.
Natural sterilant for sauces, dips, dressings, yoghurts and cream cheeses
BioFresh AMS is an innocuous, non-toxic powder sterilant that is designed for sauces, salad dips, salad dressings, mayonnaises, non-active yogurts and cream cheeses. It replaces traditional preservatives such as sorbates, citric/lactic acid, sodium metabisulphite, etc., and has no effect on the organaleptic and sensory characteristics of your product. It is resistant to thermal processes (including boiling, UHT and pasteurisation up to 100°C/212°F), and is very soluble in sauces, salad dips, salad dressings and mayonnaise recipes.
Natural sterilant for jams, preserves, marmalades and syrups
BioFresh JMS is a non-toxic powder sterilant. It is effective against Gram- and Gram+ bacteria, mould and yeast in a wide variety of prepared jams, preserves, marmalades and syrups, facilitating a longer shelf life with no loss of nutritional value and without affecting the organoleptic and sensory properties of the product.
BioFresh JMS replaces traditional preservatives such as sorbates, citric/lactic acid and sodium metabisulphite, and is resistant to thermal processes (such as boiling, UHT and pasteurisation up to 100°C/212°F).
Protection against enzymatic browning of fruit and vegetables
One of Natural Biotechnology’s traditional core products is its range of protection against the enzymatic browning of fruit and vegetables with no effect on the organoleptic and sensory characteristics of your product. This includes products for prepared cut fruits, green salads, and processed vegetable applications.
The range of anti-browning products Natural Biotechnology offers consists of:
- NATRApHASE® ABAF: anti-browning processing aid for fruit snacks and salads (apples, pineapple, mango, melons, kiwi, pears, nectarines, plums and bananas) – 15 to 25 days of extended shelf life
- NATRApHASE® ABS 600: leafy salads (lettuce, iceberg, romaine, etc.), anti-browning and anti-pinking processing aid and sanitizer replacing chlorine, per acetic and other more hazardous sanitizers – 15 to 21 days of extended shelf life
- NATRApHASE® ABAV: root vegetable (whole fresh peeled potatoes, blanched potato cubes, French fries and chips/crisps) anti-browning processing aid and anti ‘after cooking darkening’ aid – extends shelf life by 10-15 days. Ideal replacement for sulphites and phosphates (SAPP); reduces acrylamide build-up during baking, boiling and par-frying of potatoes by 98% and up to temperatures of 200°C. Also delays ‘whitening and dehydration’ in carrots, carrot snacks/batons and grated carrots, increasing shelf life up to 30 days, and prevents browning / discoloration in celeriac, beetroot, lotus root, parsnips, broccoli and cabbage
Anti-microbial protection for pre-processed fruit and vegetables
For whole preprocessed fruit and vegetables, we also have in our NATRApHASE® range the following products:
- NATRApHASE® FVS: a natural alternative to chlorine for washing pre-processed whole fruit and vegetables. The product is very effective against a wide range of Gram- and Gram+ food micro-organisms (ecoli, salmonella, listeria, coliforms, yeast, mould and penicillium) achieving log reductions of >7.00. Excellent for preproduction antimicrobial protection and long-term storage
- NATRApHASE® pHCP: extremely effective barrier system when applied to fresh pre-harvest potato, tomato and parsley crops with potential infection from the fungi phytophthora infestans and alternaria solani
Anti-microbial protection for food processing equipment and production environment
Based on the same natural, food approved technology, we also have in the NATRApHASE® range of products:
- NATRApHASE® FVS-AM is an effective descaler and general-purpose cleaner. It is a specifically formulated processing aid for use in CIP cleaning applications, removal of milk stone from storage tanks, pipe lines, mixing vessels, walls, floors and utensils providing effective anti-microbial protection against yeast and mould and achieving log reductions of >7
Naturally derived food preservation solutions
The company produces a number of other products under the NATRApHASE® line, which are concerned with the preservation of food other than fruit and vegetables. This includes:
- NATRApHASE® ATP: prevents rancidity in meat recipes as in sausages, minced meats, burgers and dairy products
About Natural Biotechnology
Natural Biotechnology strives to ensure quality service and products to our customers. Our authorised distributor partners are staffed by certified food technologists to offer you full technical and logistical support on our products and their use in your specific applications.
Products and Services
Natural Biotechnology has recently launched a new range of processing aids designed to extend shelf life and provide antimicrobial protection over a pH range of 3 to 7.Read more
Rue de Liege 1
6180 - Courcelles
2132 HB Hoofddorp
9889 Cincinnati-Dayton Rd
West Chester, OH 45069
United States of America