Air Environment Air Quality Consulting, Assessment and Predictive Modelling
Air Environment provides air quality consulting, monitoring, predictive modelling, impact assessment and management services to governments, industries and communities.
We are committed to delivering precise, accurate and robust scientific methods and results for clients while improving the understanding of air quality standards and practices to society as a whole.
Air quality consulting to ensure compliance in the food processing industry
Based in Brisbane, Australia, Air Environment provides expert air quality and odour consulting and testing services to food processors around Australia and internationally. We are solutions focused and provide practical and meaningful answers to clients about their emissions and air quality impact, using the most appropriate methods, data and innovative technology.
Air Environment’s ‘big picture’ understanding of their client’s requirements for air quality compliance allows us to provide an optimal, tailored solution in simple and actionable terms.
For instance, food processing facilities must ensure they comply with their environmental authority’s requirements for air quality and odour emissions. Many operators do not have a comprehensive management plan in place to achieve this and lack an understanding of their facility’s emission sources at each stage of the process, as well as how the surrounding community is impacted.
Air Environment offers a range of air quality monitoring, modelling, impact assessment and management services to identify issues early, which is a more cost-effective strategy compared to fixing problems once the community starts to raise complaints. Our thorough testing and reporting enable managers to prove that responsible and proactive action has been taken to regularly assess air quality and odour compliance requirements. In addition, we not only crunch the numbers but also investigate their veracity to give a highly accurate and comprehensive report in easy-to-understand terms.
Our experienced consultants have provided air quality testing, impact assessment, compliance advice and consulting services to a wide range of food and beverage processing industries, some of which include:
- Poultry broiler farms
- Red meat abattoirs and poultry processors
- Protein recovery (rendering) plants
- Poultry product processing plants
- Vegetable product processing plants
- Edible oil production
- Pet food production
- Fish smokers
- Coffee roasters
Odour impact assessment
For odour impact assessment, our experienced consultants have collected thousands of odour samples from a variety of sites and conducted hundreds of odour model simulations. We regularly collect our own odour samples in the field, analyse the results in our state-of-the-art odour testing laboratory and develop odour emission inventories on the basis of the laboratory reports. We then generate detailed local metereological datasets through predictive modelling and/or analysis of observed monitoring station data. The site odour emission sources are then characterised in an atmospheric dispersion model with the emissions inventory and meteorological data to predict and assess the risk of the community’s exposure to odour nuisance.
We operate Australia’s first Scentroid SS600 Dynamic Olfactometer in our Brisbane laboratory. The SS600 is one of the world’s most advanced stationary fully automated laboratory dynamic olfactometers. With optimal performance, the SSS600 enables six simultaneous panellist measurements, shorter sample analysis time, high-accuracy mass flow controllers and advanced contamination control. Operational costs and sample analysis costs are minimised through time savings and reduced sample volume, purge and cleaning times.
The accuracy and speed of the SS600 olfactometer underscores Air Environment’s dedication to delivering the most accurate results and information to assist client’s decision-making and planning in a commercially viable timeframe and within a reasonable budget.
Air quality and odour services
Air Environment provides the following services:
- Air quality and odour management plans
- Air and odour dispersion modelling and impact assessment, including intensity assessment and source impact apportionment
- Emissions and odour environmental risk assessment
- Source gas and odour emissions sampling
- Ambient air and meteorological monitoring
- Laboratory olfactometry – odour concentration (AS/NZS4323.3), odour intensity (German VDI3882.1) and hedonic tone testing (German VDI3882.2)
- Direct olfactometry at the source
- Odour management and mitigation strategy
- Odour control system performance testing
- Ambient odour intensity monitoring and field olfactometry
- Emissions estimation, calculation and NPI reporting
- Environmental protection licence advice and negotiation
- Greenhouse gas emissions assessment
- Expert advice, testimony and technical review
Odour and air quality measurement equipment
Air Environment is the exclusive distributor of Scentroid olfactometry and air quality measurement equipment in Australia and New Zealand. This innovative range of equipment comprises:
- Stationary, portable and drone-mountable air quality monitors with a large range of gas sensors
- Laboratory olfactometers
- Portable olfactometers for field and laboratory use, including the SM100i ultra-portable olfactometer that can be carried in a backpack for odour testing on site, or at the boundary, and receptor
- Air sampling equipment, including vacuum chambers, wind tunnels and witches hats
- Air sample bags – Nalophan, PTFE, Tedlar, stainless steel
- Air quality monitoring and modelling software for site emissions and complaints management
About Air Environment
Air Environment’s consultants understand that not all emissions are created or experienced in the same way, and additional information such as meteorology, terrain and land uses, location of sensitive receptors and many other variables are required to completely understand an emission’s impact.
The founder of Air Environment, Andrew Balch, is a well-known Certified Air Quality Professional (CAQP) with 25 years of experience in the field. He is a pioneer of the field ambient odour assessment methods used in Australia and is considered one of the best odour experts in the country.
Associate consultant at Air Environment, Dr Mike Power is a CAQP and respected air modelling expert with more than 25 years of experience in consulting and government regulation. His PhD focused on particulate monitoring and modelling of wood smoke emissions in Tasmania.
Erin Williams is the company’s business manager. She has a focus on working on the education of the market to understand the value of air quality science. Erin’s experience and interest in ethical business practices and social engagement on environmental issues drive Air Environment’s philosophy and day-to-day operations.
To request further information, please fill out the enquiry form.
Products and Services
12/783 Kingsford Smith Drive
Eagle Farm, 4009