Bruker’s benchtop time-domain nuclear magnetic resonance (TD-NMR) analyser is a versatile and easy-to-use turnkey solution for rapid quality and process control in food manufacturing. The minispec reliably and precisely determines oil and moisture content in snack and dried foods, including chips, crisps, nuts, milk powder, dried sausages, dried marzipan and candy. Instrument calibration is quick and easy, requiring only three to five samples.
Benefits of TD-NMR for fat and oil content determination in food include:
- Analysis of the entire sample
- No sample preparation, solvents or drying
- Non-invasive and non-destructive
- Fast analysis in a matter of seconds
- Two to three times more reproducible than alternative techniques
- Colour and surface do not affect results
The minispec can be used to determine oil / fat and moisture content in all dried foods, as well as foods with moisture content up to 12%. Tailored quality control solutions are available for samples that exceed this limit. These involve either pre-drying the sample, different pulse sequences or alternative data analysis methods, such as chemometrics.