Lesaffre Human Care (LHC), specialising in the area of human health and nutrition, is a business unit of Lesaffre Group. Since 2007, our main mission has been to develop and sell nutrition and health ingredients derived from yeast, under the brand Lynside®, to the food/dietary supplement, nutrition and functional food businesses.
Our main ingredients are inactive dried yeasts, as a powder or flakes, formulated for their protein/fibre and B complex vitamin contents. Our Selenium yeast assures the anti-oxidation benefits of Selenium with safety and very good bioavailability. We also offer probiotic yeasts such as Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. boulardii.
In 2011, LHC launched a new proprietary and patented probiotic yeast, Lynside Pro GI +, which can increase gut comfort in an IBS population. The latest placebo controlled clinical trial using 400 subjects confirmed our previous study and showed significant results.
In 2012 we launched a new brand called Probisis® for probiotic bacteria, with Probisis® BS, a spore forming bacteria that focuses on Immunity, and Probisis® LRGG, a non-spore forming lactic acid bacterium.
In 2013, we finalised a strategic plan that resulted in an ambitious growth strategy for enlarging LHC’s ingredient range, based on microorganisms and biotechnology, for the nutrition, health and beauty market.
In that context, we are proud to announce the acquisition of Omniabios. Omniabios is an Italian company, located in Brescia, halfway between Milan and Venice, that has expertise in producing the molecule S-adenosyl-L-methionine, known as SAM-e.
Why did we choose to acquire this SAM-e manufacturer?
We wanted to grow more quickly in the area of health ingredients, with a strong link to biotechnology, and if possible, yeast. Omniabios produces its SAM-e using a raw material from the yeast industry. That was a natural fit for us.
SAM-e also fits perfectly with LHC’s existing worldwide sale channels and customer bases as it can be sold in the business to business market to both:
- Dietary supplement producers that make products containing SAM-e
- Pharmaceutical companies that produce medication containing SAM-e. Omniabios has the GMP certificate for producing SAM-e as an API (active pharmaceutical ingredient); this will allow LHC to strengthen its position in the production of pharmaceutical ingredients, which is consistent with our strategy
For all these reasons, SAM-e was the right solution for enlarging our product line. S-adenosyl-L-methionine is a naturally occurring molecule, found throughout the body. SAM-e is involved in many biochemical reactions such as methylation, aminopropylation, and transsulfuration. So, it has a vital role and is required by the body to produce hormones, cell membranes and neurotransmitters.
This important metabolite was discovered by Italian researchers in 1952. Since then, numerous studies have demonstrated its benefits in:
- Depression: S-adenosyl-L-methionine is an effective antidepressant and is used as a treatment for chronic pain. It helps to boost the activity and the secretion of the mood hormones in the brain, dopamine and serotonin
- Osteoarthritis: many studies have shown that SAM-e has an anti-inflammatory action, demonstrated by pain reduction, in joint articulation. It has been used for two decades in Europe to treat osteoarthritis. About 22,000 arthritis patients have participated in studies comparing SAM-e to placebo or other NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). Reportedly, four weeks after treatment SAM-e patients get as much relief as patients taking NSAIDs
- Liver diseases and detoxification: SAM-e is a protector of the antioxidant defence system of the liver. It helps to prevent the depletion of glutathione levels, a powerful antioxidant that removes toxics from the liver, such as alcohol. In Asia, it is common for people to take one SAM-e pill instead of aspirin to mitigate the effects of alcohol on their liver. Plus, SAM-e normalises mitochondrial enzymes and improves alcohol-related hepatic lesions. In a two-year, double-blind study, SAM-e was tested in patients with alcoholic cirrhosis. With a 1,200mg/day dose, 47% of patients showed lower rates of death and/or liver transplantations
Usually, SAM-e is formulated in tablets, but it can also be injected when used in hospitals.
As for recommended dosages, the amount of SAM-e varies from one treatment to another, from one country to another, and depending on its form (oral or injectable form).
Depending on the country, SAM-e is considered as a dietary supplement, and is sold in natural products/health food stores without prescription; or as a medical treatment, sold in pharmacies under a medical prescription.
SAM-e is a very powerful ingredient and we will be delighted to tell you more about it. Do not hesitate to contact us should you need additional information.